WISN-TV, Hearst’s ABC affiliate in Milwaukee, is looking for a full-time Investigative Reporter who can work collaboratively with other members of the investigative team and the newsroom to find and produce short- and long-term investigative stories.
Milwaukee’s architecture and neighborhoods flaunt its history, from its industrial roots to its historic influx of German, Polish, Italian, and Irish immigrants. It’s a city that loves its sports, beer, festivals, and music, and local culture ranges from the refined (like the architecturally impressive Milwaukee Art Museum on the shore of Lake Michigan) to the down-home (like the traditional Friday fish fry). One of the great things about living in Milwaukee is that you get all the benefits while spending less than you would in most big cities in the United States.
The successful candidate will be one with a proven track record of developing sources and deploying investigative reporting techniques to generate stories that hold public officials accountable, dig deep into societal concerns, and uncover exclusive details on the big story of the day.
We are looking for an energetic reporter who is willing to take a fresh approach to investigative reporting and storytelling.
· Juggle multiple stories on a daily basis with short- and long-term deadlines
· Take initiative in researching and pitching stories in coordination with the news manager for special projects and investigative producers
· Work with producers, photographers, editors, and graphic designers to produce stories with the highest quality visual journalism
· Work with managers and station attorneys to ensure coverage is fair, ethical, and legally defensible
· Work with our digital department to ensure investigative content has a strong presence on all platforms
· Develop a network of sources who provide tips and early access to information, allowing the reporter to break stories of significance, identify stories worthy of further investigation, and add detail and context to breaking news coverage
· 5+ years live reporting experience
· 2+ years investigative reporting experience
· Demonstrated ability to enterprise stories and develop contacts
· Demonstrated record of obtaining and reporting on court documents and other public records
· Data journalism experience is preferred but not required
· Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
· Strong writing and storytelling skills
· Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use the latest technology
· A valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
· Ability to work varied shifts
· Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
· Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
· Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
· Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Related military training and experience will be considered.
At Hearst Television we tell stories every day. Stories about people of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and identities. That’s why, behind the scenes, we believe in being an organization as diverse and varied as the audience we reach, ensuring that the content we create is more compassionate, and more representative of the communities we serve.
Hearst Television owns and operates 33 television and two radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more. The radio stations are leaders in Baltimore news/talk and rock music listenership. Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry’s premier companies and has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism, industry innovation, and community service. Hearst Television is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hearst.
To apply for this job please visit eevd.fa.us6.oraclecloud.com.